How do you like your eggs? I’m a scrambled eggs person 100%. Other than great taste, what I also like about scrambled eggs is their versatility. There are so many different techniques – French, British, American, Asian styles just to name a few – and you can include other ingredients to scramble together as well. Basically, there’s plenty of room for creativity and to incorporate any flavours and style you fancy. A recent favourite of mine is this masala scrambled eggs recipe to spice up my breakfast. It’s packed with punchy flavours, a nice kick of spice, and simply super delicious. It goes well with buttered regular toast, pav rolls, flatbread, roti, paratha…anything really. Or turn it into a scrambled egg sandwich – that’s hubby’s favourite! Finishing it with a cup of chai and it’s the perfect hearty breakfast you’ll need.
How to make Indian Desi-style Masala Scrambled Eggs
- Vegetable Oil
- Cardamom pods, Cumin Seeds – for tempering the oil
- Onion, Green Chillies, Ginger Garlic Paste – the aromatics
- Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Chilli Powder – the spices
- Salt – to taste
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – for garnish
- Preparing the masala base is no different to preparing the base for cooking any other curry. Use the freshest quality of spices and ingredients at hand because that truly makes a difference. The best way to keep your spices fresh is to keep them in air-tight containers away from both heat and light.
- If you prefer less heat/spice, simply reduce the amount of chilli powder or completely omit it.
- Once the masala base is ready, turn to low heat before cracking the eggs into the pan to scramble. You’d want the eggs to set nicely without overcooking them and getting rubbery.
- To serve, we like a dash of ketchup or hot sauce!
Easy Masala Scrambled Eggs
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Cardamom pods
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2-3 Green Chillies sliced
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder optional
- 10 Cherry Tomatoes (about 150g)
- 3-4 Eggs
- Fresh Coriander Leaves for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Fry cardamons and cumin seeds until they sputter and become fragrant.2 tbsp Vegetable Oil, 2 Cardamom pods, 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- Add the chopped onions and saute for 5 minutes until softened.1 Onion
- Stir in ginger garlic paste and chopped chillies. Cook for 2-3 minutes.2-3 Green Chillies, 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala.1 tsp Salt, ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Coriander Powder, ½ tsp Garam Masala, ½ tsp Chilli Powder
- Stir in chopped cherry tomatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes till the oil starts to separate.10 Cherry Tomatoes
- Turn to low heat. Crack in the eggs and stir continuously until the eggs start to set.3-4 Eggs
- Top with fresh coriander leaves, give it a brief toss and serve immediately.Fresh Coriander Leaves
Save & pin this recipe!