Add a different twist to your regular pasta dishes with this quick & easy Harissa Prawn Pasta recipe, featuring some tingling robust flavours and one to keep for the books.
Have you ever considered using Harissa on pasta? Admittedly, it hadn’t really come across my mind. With its North African origin, Harissa is more typically used in soups and stews, and sometimes roasted vegetables. The first time I tried using Harissa in my cooking was with chicken, which turned out okay. But I quickly realised its robust flavours could suit well with seafood and potentially a pasta, hence the idea of this Harissa Prawn Pasta recipe.
With my love for both seafood and pasta, it’s a no brainer that a good Seafood Pasta would be the key to my heart. This Harissa Prawn Pasta recipe would be a bit different to your typical Pasta Frutti di Mare. By incorporating Harissa into the recipe, you can expect an extra kick of spice in the seafood pasta.
What is Harissa?
Harissa is a hot chilli pepper paste with North African origins, typically appearing in Tunisian and Libyan cuisines. Imagine roasted peppers, but with added spices and a more robust flavour – that’s the best I can describe it.
Different brands would offer different blends of flavour, so do play around until you find your best pick of harissa paste. Same goes with spice levels, adjust the number of chillies to be used in the recipe accordingly to the brand and your taste preferences.
- Prawns (about 150g)
- Harissa Paste (1 heaped tablespoon)
- Garlic (about 3 cloves)
- Red Chillies (2-3 chillies, depending on taste)
- Cherry Tomatoes (about 150g)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves (for garnish)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
This recipe is definitely one for the books, given how easy and quick it is to put everything together. You can easily whip this up in under 20 minutes, certainly a quick but impressive dish to serve on the dinner table.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, please feel free to tag me @etfoodvoyage, and let me know your thoughts!
Harissa Prawn Pasta Recipe
- 250 g Linguine Pasta
- 150 g Prawns
- 3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 2-3 Red Chillies finely chopped
- 150 g Cherry Tomatoes halved
- 1 heaped tbsp Harissa Paste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan, cook garlic and red chillies until fragrant.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes, cook until they begin to blister.
- Stir in Harissa paste, season with salt & pepper.
- Add in prawns and cook for 3-5 minutes (depending on size) until cooked through.
- Toss in cooked pasta. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve immediately.
- Different brands would offer different blends of flavour, so do play around until you find your best pick of harissa paste.
- Adjust the number of chillies accordingly to the brand and your taste preferences.