I am not a huge snacker. But I do get my little cravings from time to time. If I were in the mood for a snack bite, I must admit I have a certain weakness for Kettle Crisps. When they happen to be on sale at the supermarket, with a new flavour on the shelves, let’s just say my hands went on autopilot to grab one. I’ll munch through half the bag before guilt creeps in. Then I quietly packed the leftover crisps away and tucked it in my pantry until this idea of Crispy Oven-Baked Potato Chips Chicken popped up.
Using potato chips as a coating isn’t exactly a new idea and it’s one I’ve been curious to try for ages. Essentially, it works the same way as a breadcrumb coating and helps in crisping up your meat when frying. But potato chips are already seasoned and are already crispy, so that just guarantees an extra edge of flavour plus crispiness! Although it definitely doesn’t look like it’s particularly healthy.
How to Make Potato Chips Coated Chicken
You can use any potato chips of your choice. For instance, you can pick BBQ flavoured chips if you want to go for barbeque flavours. Here I used the Thai Sweet Chilli flavoured Kettle Crisps – a recently newly launched flavour which was really tasty by the way.
I first marinated the chicken with lemon juice, garlic powder, cumin powder, chilli powder, paprika, salt & pepper, and vegetable oil.
A couple of hours later, I spread Kewpie Mayo all over each drumstick before rolling them with the crushed potato chips. The purpose of spreading mayo is to add moisture on the chicken so that the crushed crisps stick. I recommend Japanese Kewpie Mayo over regular mayo because the former has a higher fat content and offers a more savoury touch. This means more succulent chicken plus more flavours.
For the crisp coating, I added some additional seasoning as well to spice things up:
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Harissa Spice Powder
Basically just toss them all together with the crushed crisps before coating them onto the marinated-and-mayo-coated chicken.
To cook the chicken, I chose to bake them in the oven at 180C. It took about 40 minutes to cook through. Deep frying would work too but I feel guilty enough about this already so best to keep the calories in check! Serve immediately.
Oven-Baked Crispy Potato Chips Chicken
- 6 Chicken Drumsticks
- ½ cup Kewpie Mayo
Potato Crisps Coating Seasoning:
- 1 cup Potato Crisps crushed
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Harissa Powder
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
Chicken Marinade Ingredients:
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Mix together all the chicken marinade ingredients and marinate chicken drumsticks for a few hours.
- Crush potato crisps and toss evenly with all the seasonings.
- Preheat oven at 180 °C.
- Spread Kewpie mayo all over each marinated chicken drumstick. Then dip each of them into the crushed potato crisps mixture until fully coated.
- Place chicken onto an oven tray and bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden cooked through. Serve immediately.
- The prep time does not include time for marinating the chicken.
- I used Thai Sweet Chilli flavoured Kettle Crisps for this recipe. Feel free to use any potato chips of your choice and play around with different flavours.
- The use of mayo helps to make the crushed potato chips stick onto the chicken.
- Kewpie mayo has a higher fat content which also helps to make the chicken more juicy & succulent. It also adds an extra savoury touch as well.
Check out other chicken recipes:
Soup season is in full swing and, unfortunately, that also means flu season! If you are feeling under the weather, make sure you save this …
A while back when we visited Ramoramen Soho, we spotted Maple Scotch Bonnet Chicken Wings on the menu. We didn’t end up trying it at …