So the chronicles of leftover roast duck continue. But for this one, I went outside of the box a little and experimented the leftover Cantonese roast duck with non-Asian flavours. Did it work? It sure did and I’m absolutely amazed by how the flavours turned out. Everyone, please let me introduce you to my Lemon Rosemary Leftover Roast Duck Pasta recipe which is my current favourite dish to make.
The key to this dish is the leftover duck fat. The duck fat has so much flavour to offer and it would be an absolute waste to discard them. It is the star to this dish.
How to store duck fat
Leave all the liquids from the roast duck in a container and leave in the fridge until it solidifies. Scoop the solidified white parts into an airtight jar/container and keep refrigerated. The duck fat can last up to six months in the fridge. You can also freeze it if you plan on storing it for a longer time.
How to make duck pasta
This is not quite your usual Venetian Duck or Duck Ragu Pasta. It’s more similar to a Duck Confit concept although you don’t need to do anything with the actual duck here.
In this recipe, we are utilising the umami flavours from the leftover duck fat, made extra fragrant with the use of garlic and rosemary along with a few other ingredients. It is then made into a pasta sauce by incorporating reserved pasta water, lemon zest, and grated Italian hard cheese.Jump to Recipe
So start with bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve the pasta water.
In a large pan, heat duck fat over medium heat. Add in chopped garlic, rosemary, and red chilli flakes. Let cook for a minute or two until fragrant.
Add in sliced shallots. Season with salt and black pepper. Then saute for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the reserved pasta water and let simmer for 5 minutes. Toss in cooked pasta and add in both lemon zest and grated Italian hard cheese. Mix to combine.
Garnish with fresh parsley leaves. Top with leftover roast duck slices and with more grated cheese if desired. Serve immediately!
How to reheat leftover duck
I couldn’t recommend enough using an Air Fryer to reheat any leftover duck slices. Reheating the duck in an Air Fryer helps to keep the skin crispy and your duck slices will taste as if it’s freshly roasted.
Simply place leftover duck slices into the Air Fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes at 180C.
Rosemary Lemon Leftover Roast Duck Tagliatelle
- 150 g Tagliatelle Pasta
- 2 tbsp Duck Fat
- 2 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 2 Shallots sliced
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1½ tbsp Grated Italian Hard Cheese plus more for topping
- Fresh Parsley Leaves for garnish
- Leftover Duck Slices for topping
- Bring a large pot of water seasoned with a generous amount of salt to boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve ¼ cup pasta water for later.
- In a large saucepan, melt duck fat over medium heat. Add garlic, rosemary, and red chilli flakes. Cook for roughly a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add in shallots. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved pasta water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Toss in cooked Tagliatelle pasta. Add in the lemon zest and grated Italian hard cheese. Mix to combine.
- Garnish with fresh parsley leaves. Top with reheated leftover roast duck slices and more grated cheese if desired. Serve immediately.
- You can retrieve duck fat from your roast duck by placing all the liquids from cooking the roast duck into a container. Refrigerate until the fats solidify. Scoop out the solidified white parts and store in an air-tight container. Keep refrigerated and use within 6 months.
- To achieve the best results when reheating duck slices, reheat in an air fryer. Place leftover duck slices into the Air Fryer basket and heat it at 180C for 5 minutes. The skin would come out crispy then!
Check out other leftover duck recipe ideas:
I never would’ve thought I would be roasting a whole duck at home, but the Rice Guys made it happen with their halal Cantonese Roast …