If you ask me to pick a favourite from my own catalogue of trusty pasta recipes when it comes to quick dinner ideas, I would go for this Creamy Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes Pasta. Why? It’s quick to make, so easy that I can pretty much just operate on auto-pilot and be able to deliver a presentable dinner. Secondly, it’s a winning flavour combo (unless you hate sun-dried tomatoes). I like to think of it as a twist of classic Mediterranean flavour with a little extra heartiness and a little kick of spice. It’s definitely one recipe to keep on the books. I have definitely whipped this recipe up a couple of times when I got friends over last-minute for dinner and it’s a foolproof dish to put on the dining table.
Sun-dried tomatoes are like a dream in pasta dishes. Its intense and tarty flavours work like magic, whether it be in a pasta salad or a hearty creamy one like this. With just a few more pantry ingredients, you can create some superb flavours. Moreover, they are known to carry a lot of vitamins and antioxidants – definitely a solid reason to incorporate more of them in your cooking!
Oil-packed vs Dried Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Sun-dried tomatoes typically come in two forms – either oil-packed or sold dried. The ones you can get at supermarkets (the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury’s) are usually oil-packed in a jar. It doesn’t matter which type you use. If you are using dried ones, you will have to soak them beforehand until they’re softened.
They are most typically used in salads or as antipasti. Pasta would come in second, whether it be a light Mediterranean pasta salad or as a pasta dish. You can also expect sun-dried tomatoes being used as a flavour-booster to countless of sauces, et cetera.
- Oil-packed Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Pasta (I used Fusilli here)
- Garlic, finely chopped
- Chopped Fresh Red Chillies or Red Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Chicken Broth
- Baby Spinach
- Single Cream
- Olive Oil (tip: include some of the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes for an extra flavour boost!)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
How to Make Sun-Dried Tomatoes Pasta
First, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red chilli / chilli flakes (if using – completely optional on whether you fancy spice or not) until fragrant, roughly a minute.
Add in the sun-dried tomatoes. Give it a little stir and then season with paprika, salt and black pepper.
Toss in baby spinach, cook until it just started to wilt.
Deglaze the pan by stirring in the chicken broth. Turn to low heat once it starts to boil. Stir in the single cream and let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Add the cooked pasta into the sauce and toss well. Serve immediately.
Creamy Spinach Sun-Dried Tomatoes Pasta
- 250 g Pasta
- 3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 2-3 Red Chillies (optional) finely chopped
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 3 tbsp Sun-Dried Tomatoes drained of oil
- 80 g Baby Spinach
- ¼ cup Chicken Broth
- ½ cup Single Cream
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Bring a large pot of water with salt to boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook garlic and red chillies (if using) until fragrant.
- Add in sun-dried tomatoes. Season with paprika, salt & pepper.
- Toss in baby spinach, cook until the leaves start to wilt.
- Stir in chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Bring to a boil.
- Turn to low heat and stir in single cream. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add in cooked pasta and toss well. Serve immediately.
- The red chillies are completely optional. I personally like to add a kick of spice and fresh red chillies work well in the recipe.
- Sun-dried tomatoes are usually sold oil-packed in jars at supermarkets. If you happen to have purchased a dried package, soak the sun-dried tomatoes in water for 30 minutes until softened before use.
Check out my other Pasta Recipes:
So the chronicles of leftover roast duck continue. But for this one, I went outside of the box a little and experimented the leftover Cantonese …
Add a different twist to your regular pasta dishes with this quick & easy Harissa Prawn Pasta recipe, featuring some tingling robust flavours and one …