It started as an attempt to just spend up some random leftovers in the fridge but is now easily one of my top favourite recipes to make. This Tomato Cream Soup turned out so great it became a regular on the dinner table, especially during winter months when it’s soup season. It’s so cheap and easy to prepare but is packed with a lovely punch of flavours and makes one satisfying meal when paired with some garlic bread. Simple, quick, and tasty – that just fits like a glove to my recipe collections.
The funny story was that I was trying to use up a bunch of random leftovers because I was trying to avoid leaving the house for the day. However, after tasting how good it turned out, I ended up dashing to my local supermarket to grab some garlic bread to pair with the soup! So I did leave the house in the end and thought I might as well do the grocery shopping that I was trying to delay for the next day. Basically, the intended lazy day turned into somewhat productive, and a fluke recipe turned into an actual recipe, which is a double win for me!
How to make Tomato Cream Soup
Using fresh tomatoes in this recipe would’ve obviously been great, but I’m surprised how great tinned tomatoes work too together with the help of a scoop of tomato paste. I used tinned tomatoes for my first try and have continued to use it for the recipe ever since. It worked perfectly well and makes it extra convenient in my opinion.
In terms of flavouring, the trio combination of garlic, anchovies and tomatoes continues to do wonder, which holds the key to creating an umami flavour profile for this tomato cream soup. By sauteing the aromatics, it helps to develop flavour depth for the soup. As per usual, I like to include a little kick of spice in there by incorporating red chilli flakes (or fresh red chillies if you prefer) and a pinch of both paprika and chilli powder. I used chicken stock for the occasion to create a savoury edge. Alternatively, vegetable stock could work too.
Last but not least, to create that smooth and creamy texture, I blended the soup mixture with a hand blender before stirring in double cream in it. Once it bubbles for a little further, simply ladle the tomato cream soup into bowls and top with any garnishes of your choice. You can top it with croutons, or with an extra pinch of chilli flakes/herbs like I did, or anything you want. Best served with garlic bread on the side!
Tomato Cream Soup Recipe
- Hand blender
- 3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 3-4 Anchovy Fillets
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder optional
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 can Chopped Tomatoes
- 1½ cups Chicken Broth*
- 1 tsp Mixed Italian Herbs
- 150 ml Double Cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute garlic, chilli flakes, and anchovy fillets for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add chopped onions, cook until softened. Season with paprika, chilli powder and salt & pepper.
- Stir in Tomato Paste. Cook for about 3 minutes until deepened in colour before adding in chopped tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Pour in Chicken Broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaves. Using a hand blender, blend the mixture until smooth and thick.
- Turn to low heat and stir in the double cream and mixed Italian herbs. Let bubble for 5-10 minutes then serve immediately with toppings/garnishes of your choice.
- Extra chilli flakes and herbs
Save & pin this recipe!