With completely zero fuss, this Tandoori Salmon recipe is one to keep on the books when you need the quickest and easiest dish to whip up. Essentially, you mix together a couple of pantry-ready spices to form a spice rub paste, then rub it all over the salmon fillets, and allow it to marinate just a little before popping it into the oven to cook. Fish cooks fairly quick so you literally can have this ready in no time. You can either cook it in the oven, in the air fryer, or even pan-fry it. Whichever method you prefer, the tandoori salmon is going to turn out super delicious!
The flavours of this tandoori salmon are fantastic. It carries a nice sharp punch of flavours – piquant, tangy and spicy – basically a little flavour party on your palate. To serve, I’d recommend a side of Air Fryer Gunpowder Potatoes or a hefty tray of pilau rice, plus some refreshing salad would make a simple yet very satisfying weeknight dinner.
How to make Tandoori Salmon
- Turmeric Powder
- Cumin Powder
- Chilli Flakes
- Chilli Powder
- Tandoori Masala Powder
- Lemon Juice or Lime Juice
- Cooking Oil
- You can also try other types of fish for the recipe. Alternatives include cod, pollock, trout, halibut, etc.
- 20 minutes is a good amount of time to marinate the salmon fillets. Do not over-marinate as the acid, i.e. lemon/lime juice for this recipe, will start breaking down the fish and you will end up with mushy fish which is yikes!
- Depending on the thickness of your salmon fillets, cooking times may vary a little. Generally, I’d say the standard salmon fillets you get in the supermarket would take no more than 10-15 minutes to cook through in the oven or air fryer at 200C.
- Last but not least, don’t forget to give the tandoori salmon fillets an extra squeeze of lime and garnish it with some fresh coriander leaves.
Tandoori Masala Salmon Recipe
- 240 g Salmon Fillets
Tandoori Spice Rub
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- ½-1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Tandoori Masala
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Lime/Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- Fresh Coriander Leaves roughly chopped
- Lime or Lemon Wedges
- Green Chillies or Pickled Green Chillies sliced
- Mix all the spice rub ingredients together. Rub all over the salmon fillets. Marinate for 20 minutes.1 tsp Turmeric Powder, 2 tsp Cumin Powder, 1 tsp Chilli Flakes, ½-1 tsp Chilli Powder, 2 tbsp Tandoori Masala, 1-2 tbsp Oil, 2 tbsp Lime/Lemon Juice, 1 tsp Salt, 240 g Salmon Fillets
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place marinated fillets onto a lined baking tray. Bake for around 10-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime.Fresh Coriander Leaves, Lime or Lemon Wedges
Air Fryer Method:
- Preheat the air fryer to 200°C.
- Brush oil onto the air fryer basket and place the salmon fillets in a layer. Do not overcrowd the basket.
- Cook the salmon for 6-7 minutes, then flip each fillet, brush with a bit more oil if need to, and cook for another 5-6 minutes until cooked through.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime.
- Do not marinate the salmon fillets for more than 30 mins. The acid (i.e the lime/lemon juice) would start breaking down the fish and result in a mushy texture if over-marinated.
- Adjust the amount of chilli powder used according to your desired spice level.
- You can use other types of fish for the recipe. Alternatives include cod, pollock, trout, halibut, etc.
Save & pin this recipe