Sometimes a hearty bowl of soup is what you need after a long day. I ought to admit I’m not a huge soup person. But as I grew older, I start to like it more. In addition, my other half loves soup so I made the effort to start cooking more soups to serve on the dining table.
Here’s one recipe that I absolutely love. It’s packed with vegetables but also hearty and satisfying because it involves my favourite pasta – tortellini! I typically use Spinach & Ricotta Tortellini but feel free to try out different fillings.
As a bonus, it’s super easy to prepare and make. The use of frozen vegetables makes things so much more convenient (I always have some in my freezer). I would love to be able to brag I made my tortellini from scratch but sadly I do not own a pasta machine at my home here in London.
After you’re done cooking, serve the soup hot with some garlic bread – trust me the flavours go impeccably together. The trick is definitely on the spices and seasonings. It’s the tangy flavour that really stimulates one’s taste buds. I normally don’t add extra cheese on top because the tortellini is already cheese-filled. However, sometimes, why not indulge for a bit? Enjoy!
Hearty Tortellini Soup
- 2 tbspn Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 L Vegetable / Chicken Stock
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 400 g Chopped Tomatoes
- 200 g Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 250 g Fresh Tortellini
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chilli & Lemon Pepper
- 1.5 tsp Basil
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Grated Parmesan Cheese to serve (optional)
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add in garlic and onions. Fry until starting to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, then add paprika and chilli & lemon pepper. Stir until the onions and garlic are thoroughly coated and form a paste.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and the stock. Simmer for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the Mixed Vegetables and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are tender, stir in the Tortellini. Return to boil and summer for 2 minutes until the pasta is just cooked.
- Stir in the basil. Season with salt & pepper. Then serve immediately. Top with Cheese if desired.