Soup season is in full swing and, unfortunately, that also means flu season! If you are feeling under the weather, make sure you save this Sumac Lemon Chicken Soup, which is easy to whip up and offers the most comforting & nourishing of soups to cure that cold. An additional touch of sumac adds a beautiful perfumy tang to it that makes this soup extra special. To be honest with you, I crave this soup even when I’m not under the weather! It’s just that good.
Why You’ll Love This Sumac Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe Too
It’s nourishing and super wholesome. This sumac lemon chicken soup is packed with vitamin C, along with many other nutrients, which is especially great for boosting your immune system to fight off any colds & flu. Flavour-wise, the zingy touch of lemon really brings out another layer of flavour depth to your regular chicken soup. As mentioned, a sprinkle of sumac adds a beautiful perfumy tang to it that makes the flavours even more irresistible. Sumac itself is also a great source of vitamins and nutrients, which is a bonus!
How to Make Sumac Lemon Chicken Soup
Ingredients You Need
- Chicken Thigh Fillets – bone-in preferred but boneless works as well
- Olive Oil
- Soffrito – a mix of chopped onions, carrots, and celery
- Chicken Broth
- Lemon Juice
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – for garnish
- Bone-in chicken thighs are preferable in this recipe as the bones offer more flavour to the soup. Using bone-in chicken also offers more micronutrients, which you would’ve probably heard all about its nutritional benefits from bone broth. Though, of course, using boneless chicken is absolutely fine too and it’s more convenient for shredding the meat.
- Soffrito is a great flavour base for the chicken soup. It is essentially chopped onions, carrots, and celery. I tend to use pre-chopped ones for convenience.
- You should be able to find Sumac at major supermarkets. If not, they will be readily available at Arabic shops or you can purchase from Amazon here.
Sumac Lemon Chicken Soup
- 2 Chicken Thigh Fillets bone-in preferred*
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Lemon (Juice only)
- 400 g Soffrito (chopped onions, carrots, celery)
- Pinch of Sumac
- Pinch of Salt to taste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves chopped, for garnish
- Lemon Wedges to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add soffrito and saute for 15 minutes till golden & softened.1 tbsp Olive Oil, 400 g Soffrito (chopped onions, carrots, celery)
- Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the chicken thigh fillets and the chicken broth.2 Chicken Thigh Fillets, 3 cups Chicken Broth
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to medium-low. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes. The chicken should be fully cooked through.
- Shred the chicken and discard the bone (if using bone-in chicken). Then season the soup with sumac and a pinch of salt to taste.Pinch of Sumac, Pinch of Salt
- Stir in lemon juice and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve warm with extra lemon wedges.1 Lemon (Juice only), Fresh Coriander Leaves
- We prefer using bone-in chicken thighs for the recipe as they offer more flavour & add more nutrients to the soup. But you can absolutely use boneless chicken too if that’s your preference.
- Soffrito is a great flavour base for the chicken soup. It is essentially chopped onions, carrots, and celery. You can use pre-chopped ones from the supermarket for convenience.
Save & pin this recipe!