Making an Indian curry from scratch is an art! I must say I’ve still got an awful lot to learn and I get it…making an Indian curry from scratch isn’t as easy as it looks. That’s why I want to share this one with you guys, an easy Chicken Masala Curry recipe that has been consistently delivering the flavours. It’s easy to make and doesn’t have a huge room for error – hence ideal if you’re a beginner to cooking Indian cuisine like myself!
Moreover, this Chicken Masala Curry is relatively quick to make and it also only requires the simplest and most basic ingredients. It’s the ideal weeknight dinner, and a money-saving recipe to keep on the books. I have been making them quite often and packing up any leftovers for lunch the next day to bring to work. Let’s just say my colleagues absolutely love the smell of it when I open my lunchbox!
What you need for the Chicken Masala recipe:
- 500g Chicken (I used drumsticks)
- 2 Medium Onions (chopped)
- 2-3 Green Chillies (sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli Powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup of Water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped, for garnish)
How to make:
Start by heating up a large pan with 2 tablespoons of oil in it. Add in chopped onions and sliced green chillies and let it cook until it turns golden in colour.
Next, stir in turmeric powder and chilli powder (if using). Mix well and then add the Ginger Garlic paste. Cook until fragrant.
Add in the chicken and season with Salt. Mix gently and then cover the pan. Leave for 5 minutes.
The onions should be slightly caramelised at this point. Pour in water, give it a quick stir, and cover again for 15-20 minutes.
Add more water if the pan gets too dry to your liking. Stir in Garam Masala and cook until the smell of raw spice goes away. Then turn to low heat, add in chopped coriander leaves and cover one last time for 10 minutes.
This Chicken Masala recipe is best served hot with rice and some Garlic Naan!
Easy Chicken Masala Recipe
- 500 g Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 Onions (medium) chopped
- 2-3 Green Chillies finely sliced
- ½ tsp Tumeric Powder
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder optional
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Water
- 1½ tsp Garam Masala
- Coriander chopped, for garnish
- Heat up oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook Onions & Green Chillies until softened and golden in colour.
- Stir in Turmeric, Chilli Powder (if using), and Ginger Garlic Paste. Cook until the raw smell goes away.
- Add in Chicken and salt. Mix well then cover to cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in Water. Give it a quick stir and then cover to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix in Garam Masala. Cook off the smell of raw spice.
- Turn to low heat. Stir in Coriander, then cover a cook for another 10 minutes. Serve immediately.