Everyone needs a good microwave mug cake in their pockets. Following my Nutella Mug Cake recipe, I’ve now added this Chocolate Chip Biscoff Mug Cake recipe to my repertoire which is perfect for Biscoff lovers! Instead of finding yourself waiting for a good 40+ minutes for a cake to bake in the oven, that’s excluding time for whipping up the cake batter, microwave mug cakes literally take only 5 minutes from start to finish. Moreover, mug cakes are specifically catered for a single, or at most double, serving. That completely omits the fuss of making a large cake when you don’t actually have a group of people to be sharing cake with.
Biscoff spread is just such an irresistible treat and it honestly just makes everything a luscious treat. This mug cake recipe features a generous amount of Biscoff spread, complemented with milk chocolate chips to add that extra delectable sensation. Safe to say this Biscoff Mug Cake recipe is one of the ultimate guilty pleasures. If you ever find yourself needing a quick Biscoff fix, be sure to save this recipe!
*Disclaimer: this recipe is originally created for a paid Instagram collaboration with Toshiba Lifestyle UK.
How do mug cakes work?
Essentially, microwave mug cakes work similarly to traditional oven-baked cakes. The emitted heat will activate the leavening agent, i.e. baking powder in this case, which allows the cake to rise. However, a mug cake recipe is NOT interchangeable with that of an oven-baked cake. This is because the heating mechanisms of a microwave and an oven are fundamentally different and, hence, have a different effect on the process of “baking”.
For mug cakes, since it’s a single portion, it’s easier for the heat to distribute around the mug for quick heating action through the microwave. It is extremely important to note that microwave heating draws moisture away from your food. Therefore, if you happen to overcook the mug cake, it’s going to turn out rather rubbery. It should take 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes maximum to have the mug cake cooked through.
How to make Biscoff Chocolate Chip Mug Cake in a microwave
- Biscoff Spread
- Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
- White Sugar
- Milk – whole/semi-skimmed
- Vegetable Oil
- Chocolate Chips – milk/white
Recipe Notes & Useful Tips on Making Microwave Mug Cakes
- Make sure you are using a microwave-safe mug.
- I’d recommend using a wider mug or a microwave-safe bowl. This is because a narrow container may cause the cake to cook unevenly in the microwave. The mug cake will also rise in the microwave so make sure it’s big enough to avoid any spillage.
- Make sure you’ve thoroughly mixed everything in the mug. You don’t want to end up eating a slab of flour at the bottom of the mug!
- Each microwave is going to cook differently so make sure you are adjusting the cooking time in accordance with the microwave wattage. Test-cook with minimal cooking time (1 minute 30 seconds in this case) and continue cooking at 10-second increments until it reaches your desired texture.
- Leave the cake just slightly undercooked to have a gooey texture so that it won’t harden too much when cooled down.
Yes, you can! Simply melt it in the microwave on high for about 20-30 seconds until it’s softened and runny in texture when you mix it.
Microwave Biscoff Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp Biscoff Spread
- 4 tbsp Plain Flour
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Egg
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 tbsp Milk Chocolate Chips
- Whipped Cream
- Biscoff Biscuits
- Melt the Biscoff spread in a large mug by microwaving it on high for 20 seconds.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients into the mug. Mix to combine.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds. If the cake hasn't been cooked through, cook at 10-second increments until set.
- Allow to cool down slightly before adding toppings as you desire. Serve warm.
- A wide mug is preferable as it would allow heat to distribute more evenly when cooking in the microwave.
- Melt the Biscoff spread before mixing. Otherwise, it would be rather difficult to mix properly.
- It is critical to not overcook a mug cake. Cooking times may differ from microwave to microwave. Therefore, test at 1 minute 30 seconds and then, if required, cook at further 10-second increments until set.
Save & pin this recipe