Nothing warms the stomach like a bowl of hearty soup does. That comforting sensation is second to none during the cold winter months. One of my favourites is a classic Potato & Leeks Soup. It’s hearty, rustic and delicious, and it’s a classic for a reason. Moreover, it’s a cheap one to make which couldn’t be more perfect for a simple weeknight meal to cosy up!
It only takes a few ingredients to whip up a good bowl of potato leeks soup. For us, we also like to spike it up with a pinch of chilli flakes and paprika. Just to perk up the flavours, ya know? Last but not least, we like to garnish it with some chopped chives and serve it with plenty of garlic bread.
How to make Potato Leeks Soup
- Red Chilli Flakes
- Potatoes – we like using Maris Piper
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Chives – for garnish
- Cream – optional.
- To prepare the leeks, trim off the roots and the coarse dark green part of the tops of the leeks. You’d only need the white parts for the recipe. Wash the leeks before slicing them by fanning the layers and rinsing away any grit or soil trapped between them.
- Don’t rush cooking the leeks. Slow-cooking them allows them to release their natural sweetness.
- As for potato choices, I like to go with Maris Piper. This is because Maris Piper Potatoes are more floury in nature, meaning it blends well and helps to attain that creamy texture for the soup. Alternatives include King Edward Potatoes, Russet Potatoes, or Yukon Gold Potatoes.
- Cream is completely optional for the recipe. The Potato Leeks Soup is already quite thick and creamy, so the addition of cream is merely for adding a little more luxurious touch.
Looking for other simple & comforting recipes? Check these out too:
Potato Leeks Soup
- Hand blender
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 Shallots sliced
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- 400 g Leeks sliced
- 1½ tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 300 g Maris Piper Potatoes diced
- 600 ml Chicken Broth
- 50 ml Single/Double Cream optional
- 2 tbsp Chives finely chopped
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook shallots and red chilli flakes for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.2 tbsp Butter, 3 Shallots, 1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
- Stir in the leeks and saute for 7-10 minutes until golden & softened. Season with salt, black pepper, and paprika.400 g Leeks, 1½ tsp Paprika, 1 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Add the potatoes. Mix well. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, turn to medium-low heat, then cover and cook for 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.600 ml Chicken Broth, 300 g Maris Piper Potatoes
- Turn down to low heat. Using a hand blender, blend the mixture until smooth.
- If using, add in the cream. Let simmer for another 5 minutes and garnish with chives. Serve immediately.2 tbsp Chives, 50 ml Single/Double Cream
- How to prepare leeks: Trim off the roots and the coarse dark green part of the tops, using only the white parts for the recipe. Wash the leeks before slicing them. Fan the layers and rinse away any grit or soil trapped between them.
- Use floury potatoes such as Maris Piper or King Edward. Such potatoes blend well and help to attain that creamy texture for the soup.
- If the soup’s too thick, simply add more water until it reaches your desired consistency.
Save & pin this recipe