I’ve discovered a new favourite way to use up leftover chicken. The usual ways of spending up leftover chicken would be sneaking them into fried rice, pasta, or a noodle/pasta soup. But this new one might just be my favourite as it’s mighty delicious. With a little air fryer magic, I’ve made these leftover chicken air fryer croquettes which have been a delight to savour. It’s got a lovely creamy interior and a gorgeous crispy breaded coating – it’s exactly what I’ll call a leftover food glow up!
The story behind this recipe is that the other half went a bit trigger happy on a late-night UberEats order and ended up with these leftover grilled chicken that he had no intention of eating the next day. I hate wasting food so my mind immediately started racing around to come up with a good recipe idea to spend the leftover chicken into my cooking. These air fryer croquettes are the end result of it and both he and I were surprised by how good it turned out. We gobbled the whole plate up within minutes.
You can pretty much use any leftover chicken. Whether it’s from grilled chicken or a weekend chicken roast, the recipe concept would work beautifully.
Don’t have an air fryer and thinking of getting one? Check these out:
- Ninja Dual Zone Air Fryer
- COSORI Smart Wifi Air Fryer
- Philips Essential Air Fryer with Rapid Air Technology
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through the links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
How to make Leftover Chicken Air Fryer Croquettes
- Leftover Chicken – shredded up
- Butter, Plain Flour, Milk – to make the white sauce
- Grated Cheese – I used Vegetarian Italian Hard Cheese (i.e. halal substitute for Parmesan). You can also use other cheeses such as Cheddar, Mozzarella, etc.
- Salt, Black Pepper, Paprika, Chilli Powder, Garlic Powder, Chicken Bouillon cube – seasoning and spices
- Onions, Fresh Coriander Leaves – as part of the filling
- Egg – binding agent
- Panko and/or Golden Breadcrumbs – I used a blend of both. Further notes below.
Essentially, a thick sauce was made to gel the ingredients together and give moisture. I’ve combined the shredded leftover chicken with chopped onions and fresh coriander leaves, and mixed them with a spiced white sauce. Feel free to add some freshly chopped chillies in there as well if you fancy a kick of heat. Then it’s simply a matter of rolling them up into balls and the classic egg-dipping then breadcrumb-rolling to make the croquettes.
In terms of the choice of breadcrumb, I used a blend of both panko and golden breadcrumbs. While you can use either one to your own preference, I have my reasons for using both. First of all, panko breadcrumbs offer a lighter and delicate texture that gives an irresistible crisp for the coating. As for the golden breadcrumbs, I find it gelling better to the croquettes and help to keep their shape better.
Leftover Chicken Air Fryer Croquettes Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 2 cup Leftover Chicken shredded
- 1 Egg beaten
- ½ cup Golden Breadcrumbs
- ½ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 heaped tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 cup Milk
- ⅓ cup Grated Cheese
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ cube Chicken Bouillon
- ½ Onion diced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves chopped
- Melted butter in a pot over medium heat. Stir in flour and mix into a roux.
- Whisk in milk and keep stirring for about 5 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Stir in grated cheese and season with salt, black pepper, paprika, chilli powder, garlic powder, and the crumbled bouillon cube.
- Once thickened, remove from heat and add in the shredded chicken, chopped onions and coriander. Toss to combine. Set aside to allow to cool down.
- Mix together both Panko and golden breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl. Place beaten egg in a separate bowl.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the chicken mixture and shape it into a ball. Dip into beaten egg and then coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining chicken mixture.
- Preheat air fryer to 200°C. Brush the air fryer basket with a layer of oil.
- Place the chicken croquettes into the basket. Brush them with oil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Roll the croquettes to the other side, brush with more oil, and cook for another 5 minutes until golden in colour.
- Allow to cool down for a few minutes before serving.
Save & pin this recipe