‘Tis the weather for comforting and warming soups. Nothing beats the warming sensation of a hearty bowl of soup during the colder months of winter. A lot of the time, I tend to find myself going for cream-based ones at this time of the year, something extra rich. But recently, I’ve been enjoying something a little simpler and healthier with this easy-to-make Carrot Lentil Soup recipe, and it still gives that same cosy satisfaction!
It took a bit of inspiration from Middle Eastern lentil soups, which is something I’ve always enjoyed when eating out. I particularly enjoy the subtle undertone of warm spices and balance it with a squeeze of lemon to give it a zingy touch. Not very conventional, but for an extra creamy touch, when at home, I like to add a little bit of double cream to it.
How to make Carrot Lentil Soup
- Red Lentils – washed and drained
- Onion, Ginger, Garlic – the aromatics
- Cumin Powder, Turmeric Powder, Paprika – the spices
- Salt & White Pepper – to season
- Chicken Stock – from bouillon cube. Alternatively, use vegetable stock for vegetarian version
- Lemon – to give a little zing
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – for garnish
- Double Cream – optional, for extra creaminess
- It is highly recommended to wash the lentils before use. This is because there is a possibility of small pebbles and debris packed in your bag of lentils. Just a simple rinse would do.
- For the type of lentils, both red or yellow lentils would work. Both red and yellow lentils are mild in flavour and mush up when cooked in liquid, therefore ideal for soups as a form of thickener!
- You will need a hand blender for the recipe. Once both the lentils and carrots are cooked through and softened, blitz it with a hand blender and you’ll get this beautifully thick texture for the soup.
Looking for more soup recipe inspo? Check these out too:
Easy Carrot Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion diced/chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1-inch piece Ginger grated
- 1 medium Carrot diced/chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 cup Red Lentils washed & rinsed
- 3 cups Chicken Stock or vegetable stock
- ½ tsp Salt to taste
- ½ tsp White Pepper
- Fresh Coriander Leaves for garnish
- 1 Lemon plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp Double Cream
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onions for 5 minutes until golden in colour.1 tbsp Olive Oil, 1 medium Onion
- Add in both ginger and garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes.2 cloves Garlic, 1-inch piece Ginger
- Stir in cumin powder, turmeric powder, and paprika. Cook for a few minutes until the raw smell cooks off.1 tsp Cumin Powder, ½ tsp Turmeric Powder, 1 tsp Paprika
- Toss in carrots and stir for a minute. Then add in the lentils. Mix to combine.1 medium Carrot, 1 cup Red Lentils
- Stir in chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.3 cups Chicken Stock
- Using a hand blender, blitz the mixture until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper.½ tsp Salt, ½ tsp White Pepper
- Squeeze in lemon juice and then stir in double cream if using. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve immediately.Fresh Coriander Leaves, 1 Lemon, 2 tbsp Double Cream
Save & pin this recipe!